Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Part of a scene from "All For A Song"

BW, Benjamin Wells Lane, is a mid-thirties would-be songwriter and Dee is a grandmotherly type matron who owns a beach side bar in Malibu. He is trying to sell his songs; he lives in a back room of DEE'S BACKPORCH and sings in the evenings. E99 is his dog. (The name is from an earlier scene).


INT. BW'S ROOM - LATE DAY

BW walks in and slams the door. He throws his coat on the floor in anger.



BW (to himself)
That's all folks! No more kicking BW around!

He sits down on the bed with his head in his hands. E99 comes over for some attention,
but he pushes her away.



KNOCK ON THE DOOR

DEE (VO)
BW? ... You okay in there?

He just sits in the same position.



BW
Go away, I'm alright.

Dee disregards his comments and enters anyway. She comes over and sits down next to
him as he maintains the same position.



DEE
Bad day, huh?



BW (head down)
It's over ... and I lost.

DEE puts her arm around his shoulder and seeks to comfort him.



DEE
Why don't you let go of it for a minute?

BW just shakes his head.



BW
Nah, I'm through, I've had it! I quit! I'm not going to sing or
write anymore.

Dee is silent for a moment as she pats BW's shoulder. She gets somewhat more
deliberate.



DEE
BW ... I never told you about my husband Mac, did I?

BW sits silently in the same position.



DEE (cont.)
Guess I don't talk about him much, 'cause he's such a big part
of me. But I'm gonna' tell you about him now.

She gets a contented, peaceful look on her face as she remembers.



DEE (slight smile and a tear)
Mac was like you ... He was a rainbow chaser. He always said
(remembering thoughtfully) he said, "Dee, you don't lose if
you never quit."

She wipes a tear from her eye and continues.



DEE
Before he went on to be with his Maker, he told me ... and he knew
he was going, BW, (sob) he told me ... (sob) he said "Dee, I was up
last night thinking about it ... 'bout my life, 'bout all of it."
(she cries remembering it well)and he said, "Dee, I know it's over ...
and I looked at myself in the mirror ... and it all came clear to me,
(she wipes a tear) the victory wasn't a prize, the victory was the
journey."

Dee let's herself cry as BW joins her through her years of tears. He puts his arms around
her as she regains her composure and continues.



DEE
You ain't gonna' quit, neither. You get your guitar and you go sing for
those people ... and you remember what you gotta' do. Sooner or later,
we all have to look in that mirror.

They hug as BW picks up his guitar and they move toward the door.

FADE TO:


INT. DEE'S BACK PORCH - LATER



(CONTINUED)
Jump to December 2, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment